Here are some tips that can help improve, or maintain, your body without spending hours in a gym every day.
1. Sleep. Sleep is essential to ensure you stay motivated and on track in every area of your life. It also helps your body recover from a workout and stay young and rejuvenated. The ultimate is going to bed between 9 to 10 pm and waking at 6am. Get between 8 to 10 hours and you will see you accomplish more in a day and feel much better.
2. Work on muscle and burning fat. The single fastest way to get in shape, and stay in shape, is lifting weights while doing low impact aerobics. Building muscle tightens everything up and brings your size down while increasing your metabolism which burns more calories. Aerobics/walking burns the fat so you get maximum results.
3. Workout at home: Working out with just work out equipment at home by yourself is difficult to be consistent. I personally do the Denise Austin workout that is on the Lifetime channel in the morning. I love not only her workout, but all the motivation she brings with her exuberant personality and great tips. It is a great way to wake up. Actually I have satellite TV so I program it to record Denise Austin so I can workout on my own schedule (and I can skip through the ads). Or you can get a video you enjoy that incorporates weights and aerobic exercise. Working out with the video will help you push yourself more.
4. Workout around your home: I am not sure why people presume the only time you work out is while you are "exercising." If you want to save time become conscious of toning up while you do work around the home. For example you could squeeze your arms, back and gluteus and do leg lunges while you vacuum so you clean up and workout. Same with gardening, lifting groceries etc. Be controlled. Look at landscape gardeners... they are in peek shape because they are getting exercise from working. I love doing all my own heavy lifting and gardening as part of my lifestyle. You also enjoy a deep sense of satisfaction from having created something with your own hands.
5. Get a tight tummy: The big one for people trying to loose a belly pouch is becoming conscious of keeping your stomach tight right throughout the day, while you drive your car, sit at your desk etc. Often just doing 40 sit ups a day won't do a whole lot for your abs because you just let them be relaxed all day instead of held firm. To get into the habit you could have someone randomly tap you on the tummy throughout the day for 30 days (so it becomes a habit) to remind you to suck it in.
6. Drink lots of water: Being dehydrated can reduce your energy level by 33%. Be sure to drink water for energy. Remember hydrated skin looks younger and fresher. There is nothing that compares to starting your beauty regiment from the inside, it will make you feel better and therefore look better.
7. Visualize: Before you work out, close your eyes and picture how you would like to look. Hang a picture that motivates you by your computer or on your bathroom mirror and look at it throughout the day to keep fitness at the forefront of your mind.
The great thing in the world
is not so much where we stand
as in what direction we are moving.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes